As an entrepreneur it can be difficult to release the reins and allow others to work on your ‘business baby’!
Both in my corporate and entrepreneur life, I have struggled with delegating the time consuming administrative and technical tasks to others, as I was SURE they couldn’t do it as well and as quickly as me and if I was going have to teach them and then check it afterwards, I may as well have done it myself! But I wasn’t doing myself any favours, I was busy being busy, and my team wasn’t learning or developing.
The whole idea of delegation is to free you up to do the high value stuff, like speaking with potential clients and delivering 100% to your pay clients, it should also mean that you can go on holiday WITHOUT your laptop, iPad and iPhone or go to your children’s school play without worrying about what’s happening in the office. After all you became an entrepreneur to have freedom and flexibility.
I’ve had many clients say they are so busy, they need help but they have no time to find someone or they just can’t find someone who they can trust to do thing just how they want it done! Fact is, it doesn’t matter how it’s done, if the end result is want you want.
So with this in mind, here are a few signs that it’s time to start delegating:
- Its 3pm, you’ve been working all day, but haven’t completed any of the MUST DO tasks on your list.
- You’ve just spend the last 3 hours trying to make ONE SIMPLE CHANGE to your website.
- You can’t remember the last time you switched your laptop before 10pm.
- You can’t remember the last time you had a no technology day. (email/mobile/facebook/twitter/instagram).
- Some days you get to the end of the day, have been ridiculously busy but can’t name a thing you’ve done and so have no sense of accomplishment.
- Your only solution (on a regular basis) is to just work through the night, so you can get everything done.
If this is you, it’s time to consider what tasks you can delegate and then train, coach and mentor your team or find a service that you can outsource some tasks to.
To find out more, check out how we can support you here.